Skip to main content

Reply to "Quit Chopping Wood"

Originally Posted by roothog66:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:

While a lot of what is in that article is good, I would hesitate to take it too far.  Even towards the end, Brandon Moss talks about getting his hands "down" to the zone.  And all the backspin chart shows is that there is a law of diminishing returns -- more backspin doesn't necessary equate to farther flight.  But you'll need some to create carry. 

Even if it is true that you need SOME backspin, I think we can agree that hitting a baseball very rarely results in NO backspin. The bottom line is that this strongly suggests that the idea that MORE backspin = MORE carry is an unsupported myth. Therefore, any batting mechanics aimed at attempting to creating maximum backspin produces no results toward that end and is a waste of time to try and learn.

I am unaware of anybody promoting creating maximum backspin and arguing that it yields more carry.  However, "Backspin" does get mentioned from time to time as the sign of a good swing. 

You are right:  round bat + round ball = backspin.  No reason to really try to "create" it.