Skip to main content

Reply to "Racist Coaches"

All of these points on the surface have a basis of logic that I fully understand and at one time supported. However, my thinking has changed. This change is highlighted primarily by two things:

1. My observation that the integration of schools in America has worked to bring about a society that is far more color blind (especially among those who have attended integrated schools from Day 1), and

2. If whites had been enslaved and then treated so poorly in nearly every way rather than blacks, we would have a different comparison here. There is a theory that says a group that is the at-large victim of racism by the much larger majority cannot by definition be racist itself. If you look closely, it is hard to argue with that. So, yes, it is far worse to use such commentary when discussing black players than discussing white players because in the discussion of white players it is in essence meaningless.

Of course we are all better off if we are all just people, which Coach Cochell seems not to embrace as evidenced by his own words.
Last edited by jemaz