Skip to main content

Reply to "radar gun as airline carry-on"

Chico Escuela posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I think you should be careful.  No coach wants to see a dad with a radar gun behind the plate.  I would think that would raise a bunch of warning flags.  Ok, maybe not 'no coach', but I'm sure some would be turned off.

You have a point (and I appreciate you offering it--hope I don't seem otherwise). 

This is a frustrating process though:  A private college education is a $250,000+ expense--which I will pay for.  My 16-year-old (who can't remember to put his dirty clothes in the laundry basket) is supposed to handle contacts with college coaches up to the actual closing stage of arrangements for his higher education.  But I can't be too involved (such as by wanting to know what velo numbers my kid puts up at a showcase, so I know what types of schools he may be able to target).  Seems like teenagers navigating this process ought to be able to rely on their folks much more than coaches want them to...  

Yeah I hear you.  Was at a camp this week, after a personal coach request after they saw him several times this year.  Going in, I thought there was a good chance of an offer.  After striking out the first 6 batters he faced, I thought for sure.

No offer, no follow up, now were left wondering was he not throwing as hard as usual.  A gun would have been nice.  I even considered going behind the coaches to see if I could read there's,  it decided against it.

I wasn't being critical, just thought maybe some may roll their eyes.  But like you said, a lot of money, tears, emotions go into this process, so have as many tools as you think will help.

Good luck!