Skip to main content

Reply to "radar gun as airline carry-on"

justbaseball posted:

Chico - I'm not calling you "that dad" - once upon a time I put a radar gun on our older son.  I completely understand the desire for data and the curiosity in general.

And while I doubt many coaches do any filtering based on dads gunning their sons - I'm just saying I eventually heard enough stories, talked to enough scouts and coaches and heard their comments about 'dads who gun' their kid...that I wouldn't do it again.  I just wouldn't.

In fact, when I got that '2nd chance' with a younger son who was a college prospect, instead of putting the gun on him I usually hung out down the left or right field line and talked to friends.

Using a gun or not?  Both boys were "found" and both played in the Pac12 with VERY different velocities and skill sets.  My radar gun had nothing to do with it - and the data I collected made no difference whatsoever.

I am a BIG proponent of trying your best to relax and enjoy the experience and not trying to be the scout.  Let them do their job and spend your time soaking it in.

Yeah, hanging down the lines is where you'll find me as well.  Want to make sure my son is enjoying his time on the mound and doesn't have to look to me for feedback.  Of course, I'll have some moments of weakness, and blurt something out, in which I then move a little further away.