Skip to main content

Reply to "Radar Gun Revolution"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by PGStaff:

I don't understand why anyone blames the radar gun for producing TJ surgeries.  If we have to blame something, why not put the blame where it belongs... Abuse of pitchers!

That is exactly where I put the blame on the hard core/uneducated parents that will have their 10 year old trying to hit 70mph.  There are now young teenagers getting TJ surgery, I don't think that can be blamed on the coach's since nearly every younger person tournament has strict pitching rules.  Either the parents are encouraging the abuse of the younger pitcher or allowing the kids to practice too much.

I'm not sure what tournaments you have been to. I was watching this 12u tournament on tv. After the game they interviewed the coah. He said if this kid stays healthy , he will be really good. The kid threw a complete game like 126 pitches. But my son is 14 and I have seen these kids put through the meat grinder by these coaches. I'm not saying that the parents shouldn't take some of the blame either. And this is the majority of the teams to different degrees. I have seen parents bring radars since the kids were 10. I just shake my head . Personally I don't think they should be gunned until it is a non factor to them. Nothing like watching a good pitcher start over throwing for the radar. 

Last edited by hueysdad