Skip to main content

Reply to "Radar Guns Revisited"

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
TPM,

Sometimes things seem to get a bit personal with these posts. It’s hard to write in such a way to be polite at all times. I do think that some of your posts seem to have a “Gospel” type tone. That always makes things more debatable to those with an open mind. Since, I do know you and understand your passion for baseball and wanting to help others, I still love and respect you for who you are. Please don’t change anything, nothing I post is personal unless it would be something positive. Often don’t even know whose post I am replying to.

That said…

Every story on every player is somewhat different than others.

That is the problem I have with examples even though I am guilty of using them too. I do think the examples tell a story, but not sure they ever prove a point. We can all find examples that fit our opinions. Truth is, just because one player did things a certain way, there is no reason to think that way will work best for someone else.

Mariano Rivera was a shortstop as a youngster. He didn’t pitch at all in his youth. He signed a FA contract for $3,000 in 1990. He basically tore up the minor leagues and surprised everyone.

Two years later (1992) he had elbow surgery. This even though he did not pitch as a youngster. Obviously, he came out of that fine and has become one of the very best relief pitchers ever; some would say the very best.

He had no training as a young kid. No one told him what to do or not do. He became a great pitcher using basically one pitch (cutter).

So if one were to follow his path…

Become a fisherman after high school.

Do not pitch until you are 19 years old.

Have no training or instruction.

Sign for practically nothing.

Have elbow surgery at 21 years old.

Only master one pitch.

Become a Hall of Famer.

Every story is unique. I’m not sure there is anything out there that we can say is the right way. It (being successful) has been done in just about every way imaginable.

That risk vs reward thing is very difficult to figure out. I appreciate and respect the medical profession as much as anyone. Dr Andrews is a legend and deserves everyone’s respect. However, IMO the recommendations of medical people involves limiting risk more than producing rewards.

Would any doctor suggest that a weight lifter do what is necessary to become an Olympic Champion weight lifter?

You are right about using examples, as done in another post, with Ryan and Johson remaining helathy, there are some exceptions to every rule. I did say all pitchers are different.

I beleive in limiting risks when a player is younger, it also can produce greater rewards, that's just the way I see it, it's not gospel. JMO.
I also stated that most pitchers do end up with some type of injury, and said where you are when that injury occurs may be very important. JMO.
Wish my player could only throw one pitch and become a future HOFer.
JMO.

I love you too. Smile
JMO.

I have no dog in this fight, so I will bow out, thinking about it, why should I care if someone's player blows their arm out before he gets an opportunity that he has worked for many years? They will someday realize that at one point in time the workload becomes more than they or their could ever imagine, and I know that some will look back and wonder if they placed too much emphasis on too much, too early, whatever that encompases.
JMO.
Last edited by TPM