Skip to main content

Reply to "Raise revenue or cut costs? One solution could do both — and save college baseball"

The article speaks to some of the points that you've raised...

I don't think coaches care about summer leagues either. It had more to do with redshirts. If you're not getting any playing time or even traveling with the team do you join a summer league while your school finishes the season? Do you stick with your team thru regionals while reps and playing time pass you by in the form of summer leagues. Does the school pay for your summer housing if you're not playing? 

I never cared for summer leagues honestly. I know the players are not fans of them either, but I understand why they might be considered a necessary evil. If they went away tomorrow I wouldn't lose  sleep over it. I'd actually prefer an extended college season in lieu of shipping them off for the summer. But it is something that would have to be addressed. 

Problems arise when you're told in Jan you're being redshirted. Now you have to miss the season, summer ball and try to land a spot to transfer to. Some schools bring students back in early August, that's a tough situation. 

I do think the Feb start is wild though. There was absolutely no thought put into that.