Skip to main content

Reply to "Raising Boys"

Without intending to insult the grown up boys on this site, my favorite example of how the 'boy' stays in most of the dads as they grow up ... one sunny morning, while going out to retrieve our newpaper from the driveway, I see our (relatively) new neighbor outside with his 8 year old son. Dad is teaching son the finer art of throwing a ... BOOMERANG, not something we see very often here in the OC.

In an attempt to show son how a boomerang actually works, dear old Dad throws it up the street (thank goodness it wasn't down the street towards our house) and the errant boomerang proceeds to hit and break a dining room window ... HIS dining room window. Wife comes out to the front yard, walks around to the window, and then looks directly at her son. "It wasn't me !!" son hollers. Red-faced dad acknowledges his teaching mistake while friendly old neighbor, in robe and slippers, laughs hysterically, but finally calms down long enough to let Wife know who the best window repair people are in the area. Can't see that dad anymore without remembering the look on his face that morning ...

Sometimes the boys we raise aren't always under the age of 18 ... 14