Skip to main content

Reply to "Random Thought"

CoachB25 posted:
2022OFDad posted:
RJM posted:

I know kids who played in the Centennial League and NESCAC who received D1 mid major offers. They knew they weren’t pro prospects. They were more interested in the best avenue to grad school than pro ball. 

They knew they would start and probably star on a D3. They chose the best combination of their perception of baseball experience and academics. I know kids who played at these schools knowing it was ok to miss practice or a game due to academics.

Here’s a simple big picture, long term example. Do you want to play D1 baseball and get a UMass degree or play D3 baseball and get a Tufts degree? If a kid picks UMass he should get his head examined.

I understand what you are saying, but to me it is taking the easy road and they gave up on themselves and their dream after their senior high school year. I don’t respect guys who go that route simply for the “BMOC” effect. I get being “realistic” and knowing most players don’t get the opportunity to play pro ball, but you can’t tell me that if players have the chance to play at a school (let’s say Ivy or Patriot League in D1) of comparable value (educationally) they wouldn’t choose one of those schools if they had an offer to play over a D3 school. They likely did not have an offer from a school of that caliber and went the route you stated.

Really?  So you know what their dream was?  Really, you don't respect guys ...?  Who the hell are you?  If ignorance is bliss, you're as happy as can be.  I know a lot of guys who went D-II or D-III for reasons other than to be professional athletes.  In fact, of the players who have played for me that have gone on to play professionally, I have more who went D-II than went D-I.  Finally, if you were a player and academically qualified for academic scholarships for a school like Washington University in St. Louis, you'd have to consider that.

Easy there, Coach! Don’t take it personally! The numbers for the draft historically just dont support what you are saying. There are 8X more players drafted out of D1 than D2. So what I am saying is if a kid has the desire to play professionally, playing D1 ball is a better route to take. I know there are good D2 and D3 programs, but where the rubber meets the road the path to take to get to the pros is D1. The numbers simply bear that out. I said that the financial picture may play a factor, we agree there.

I respect a player who puts themselves into the most competitive environment they can in order to sharpen that edge, you know? Just the way I personally feel. You don’t have to agree, but it’s how we do things in my family.

Last edited by 2022OFDad