Skip to main content

Reply to "Rapport with the ump"

As a coach, I'm a big proponent of my cathcers introducing themselves and building a rapport with the plate umpire from the moment they take the field. It pays off, especially over time as they get to know the player from working multiple games behind him over the years. An umpire who knows he's going to be protected can stay very quiet and get a good look at the pitch to get as many calls right as possible.

As an high school baseball umpire, I make a point of getting the catchers name from his coach while doing the plate conference, and then introduce myself while calling him by name. While he's warming up the pitcher and I'm getting my first looks at his pitches, I walk the catcher through a few simple 'ground rules' like not trying to jerk the ball into the zone, giving me a good view, and protecting me. I tell every catcher that if he beats the ball to the spot, cathces the outer half and gives me a good view, while also protecting me well, then he's going to have a good day. Also, that if he doesn't protect me, his day is going to be worse than mine. Most of them respond real well to that and the really good ones are embarassed anyway if a ball ever hits an umpire.

Couple stories. Last year, I had a 'catcher' (term used loosely in this case) in a JV game who couldn't or wouldn't protect me at all. First pitch of the game, fastball up and in, he whiffs it and it hits me square in the mask. By the end of the first inning, I'd been hit by 7 balls....cup shot, couple off my chest protector and a couple off my mask, as well as arm and legs. (for you umpires, yes I was in the slot, he just couldn't put his glove on the ball, or block). This kid couldn't catch! Second inning comes and five more balls hit me. At that point I called time out and told the coach to get a new catcher as I wasn't there to get killed because of a kid who had no business being back there. The coach responds that this is the only catcher he has, so I nod and go around in front of the plate to brush hit, while telling the catcher to stay down. While we're mask to mask, I tell him how PO'd I am to be getting killed back there, and that if one more ball hits me, I'm going to kick him from behind right in the 'you know whats' and he'll then know how my day was going. I asked him if he understood and he assured me he did. Funny, I didn't get hit by another ball the rest of the day. Motivation can come in many different forms!

Finally, we were playing in a qualifier for the Jr. Olympics one time (AAU version) and in the 4th inning the umpire suddenly calls time out, walks around in front of my catcher, points at him and dumps him without warning. I went out and asked him why he dumped my catcher so suddenly and he replied that he'd been taking verbal abuse from my guy the whole game (his zone was really bad!) but the last comment had gone over the line, so he dumped him. I went over to my catcher in the dugout and asked him what he said, and he replied " I just told him, you really scr*w*ed the pooch on that call blue." I had a really hard time not laughing out loud, fortunately, as I'm sure Mr. Umpire would have dumped me too at that point.

Catchers, develop a good rapport with the man behind you, and you'll find it makes the game easier for all concerned.