Skip to main content

Reply to "Rating the Summer College Leagues"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Good article on some comparisons between Northwoods and Cape leagues.

http://dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/2008/aug/11/cape-cod-an...-inspire-strength-b/

A good article and very accurate on the Northwoods from what I have heard. A good friend of my son played in the Northwoods (actually lead that league in batting average this summer) and from what he told me, this article describes it very well. Pretty much like the minors without pay. Of course, less talent that the minors but very competitive for collegiate players. Long bus rides, stays in hotels/motels, long boring periods and so on.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ILVBB:
College coaches don't always know the in's and out's of each placement. If your son wants to go, someone ought to do a certain level of due dilligence.[QUOTE]

A very true statement about placement. My son was placed early last Fall by his coach in what ended up being a great placement for him. However, I spent months worrying about it because a couple of friends of his had been placed previously - by their dads and one other coach - and their experience was very poor with big rosters, limited playing time, revolving rosters, and one league that even folded. If you're paying, do as much as you can, as early as you can to get information.
Last edited by Michael'sDad