Skip to main content

Reply to "Read this before you post about how unhappy your player is"

quote:
Parents,...please enjoy these four years of ball. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Consider it your challenge to find a way to overcome adversity. Take the high road, teach your sons that good things dont always come easy and that this too is just a tiny blip on the map of their life.
How these players and how we as parents handle these situations will help mold our children into what they will be in the future.
Its sooo important.

Enjoy the game,...if your son isn't playing,.....watch, observe, and cheer on the team, just like he is.
Don't miss out on special team moments.
Enjoy the team, not just your own player,....but the team as a whole.

There is a whole lot of satifaction that comes from watching the new, green-still-wet-behind-the-ears-catcher make an amazing throw down to 2nd, or the pitcher who finds his zone after a few harsh innings, or the left fielder who slides through the wet grass on his belly with his glove up and the ball sitting pretty inside of it.

Your son is watching. He's learning. He's overcoming. Join him.

We as parents can learn alot from our kids.

shortstopmom - these are very powerful words and stirred some emotions in me. If I am reading what you are saying correctly, I believe you are saying that there is tremendous honor in being on the team. I can even think in my own experiences, where you get caught up in what position someone is playing or where they may be hitting in the order or whether or not they are even playing for that matter. If that is the only focus, many of these team blessings for which you speak can be missed and I regret I missed some of them - moreso when I was a boy than in my son's experiences.

This also reminded me of a story and it demonstates how children can change or affect the lives of adults...

During my son's pre-hs years, I was always glad just to be the scorekeeper as it was something I enjoyed. For our 14 year old pony travel team however, I was asked to be an assistant coach. I agreed to coach first base and I would keep score at the same time Smile

On the day we held tryouts for this team, it was snowing on and off all day. Only 16 kids showed up for tryouts and we were going to keep 12 kids. One kid named Drew made the team by default. Another kid actually played better than Drew but he gave the vibe he was a trouble-maker so we kept Drew. We considered him to be the 12th man on our bench and didn't expect him to play that much. Were we ever mistaken about that!

As is the case with any baseball team at any level, not all 9 guys you play are going to perform well. With the slim pickings we had that year, that was almost assuredly the case. As time went on, Drew started to grow on us. He was a first-one-there and the last-one-to-leave types. Always had a smile on his face. Would give the shirt off his back type of player. I have never to this day met anyone as unselfish as him. In short, everyone loved that kid.

We started finding resaons to put him in the lineup. He started in the 9 hole and he played mostly first base. As time went on, he willed himself to become better and he did. We kept moving him up in the order and he started to pitch for us. At the end of the year, he clearly was one of our best players. Never forget him and it shows the power that a player actually possesses. Think about all the fun you can have looking out for the other guy and being on the team. I assure you someone will notice and they just might not ever forget.
Last edited by ClevelandDad