Skip to main content

Reply to "Read this before you post about how unhappy your player is"

Some pretty passionate views from some on the transfer issue.
If I may, let me just add mine.

My wife and I have a wonderful son who we have raised for the better half of nineteen years. During those years part of parenting was to know when to let our son fail and when to prevent it from happening. The allowing it would make him a better and stronger person in the long run, and the preventing it would keep him from harm possibly physically and mentally in the short term.

Move forward a few years. When our son showed signs that he might have enough talent to play baseball beyond little league, I turned to this website for some advice. Not parenting advice, but baseball advice. There are hundreds of people here who can offer me outstanding advice on conditioning, on colleges and coaches, on recruiting and scholarships.
There are many who can pass along great advice about pitching and catching. A ton of this advice I have taken to heart, sent PM's asking for more in depth advice. All beneficial to my son.

The one thing that no one can do on this site is tell me what is best for my son. They cannot raise my son better than I can. Many on here can offer their experiences (which are greatly appreciated by the way) which can be very helpful.

Some here may feel that if you allow your son to transfer it shows a sign of weakness, or it's wrong because your not preparing him for future failures in life. You are allowing him to take the easy way out.
Those are all opinions and everyone is entitled to his own. But when you start labeling parents and or kids because they are making a decision based on their needs, wants, or any other reason is just simply wrong.

As I stated, we raised our son for the better part of nineteen years and feel we did a pretty darn good job at it (look at my profile). If I feel that my son transferring would be in his best interest, regardless of the reason, then that's what he will do. I have have enough confidence in my parenting ability to know that this will not keep him from learning the values of life.

Let me say this,
I can't promise you my son will ever be a hall of famer. I can't promise you that my son will ever be the president of the United States. But what I can promise you is regardless if my son transfers ten times or zero times. Regardless if my son plays every inning or zero innings, my son will never be considered a loser, quitter or weak. What he will be is a well educated, well respected, respectful outstanding contributor to society. As a parent, that's all I can ask of my son.

I hope I did not step on anyones toes, that was not my intent. Just remember, one size does not fit all.

From one former coach to the parents, read this site and absorb all the great baseball advice that is given.
From one parent to another, trust your parenting skills and do what you feel is right for you, your child and your family.
It is your decision and yours alone!
Last edited by Danny Boydston