Skip to main content

Reply to "Read this before you post about how unhappy your player is"

TGUF,
Nice post.

However, I don't see anyone telling anyone how to be a parent. Everyone approaches things differently. What I do see today, IMO, is a child telling their parents they are unhappy on the field and then there's the let's fix it quick attitude so you can be happy again. There's a LOT of importance placed on college baseball because most players want to go farther and reality is, it doesn't happen often.
Lots of stories. Here's one. Player is a ERA starter leader in his very small conference and transfers to a larger conference with big expectations as a closer and can't get it done, unhappy at school, he doesn't play much, parents are furious, where he was a star he is now on the bench. They want him to start, that was not in the agreement. Player is drafted but not as high as the parents liked, they are furious with the coaching staff. It's their fault. I am not sure how he is doing in pro ball. Did they not realize their player just didn't do his part? It was someone elses fault.

For many it works out well, but the above is only ONE example of countless stories where parents are at fault but the program or the coaches. May not be in this case, but this is why I do post what I do sometimes.

The object is to think carefully about each decision, from transfering while in HS so your son can play, from your college choice, to going pro after HS, to transfering in college, etc. It doesn't matter why as long as you accept responsibility in who gets the blame. I am not looking at that player as a quitter, but have heard too much, it's the coaches fault stuff over teh past few years.