Skip to main content

Reply to "Reading between the lines"

Jerseydad,
ANYTHING your son receives is a positive but don’t put a lot of stock in any of it unless something just knocks your socks off. Here’s why. Coaches are very different in their approach to recruiting. You mention the SEC and since we live in SEC country my son probably received 100 pieces of mail from the University of Alabama and about 50 from Ole Miss and NO mail from Auburn until AFTER he signed his NLI with Auburn. So who was the most interested? AUBURN! Alabama sent so many newspaper clippings it would have been cheaper for them to give us a subscription to their local newspaper. The larger schools have a support staff that handles all the “paperwork” and I’m not sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. Mississippi State was still sending my son invites to their baseball camps TWO YEARS AFTER he had been playing at Auburn. I normally don’t disagree with TPM but I don’t see how you could hide the obvious about the recruiting methods. I explained the recruiting ride as it was playing out as best I could. He knew he was not the only player being recruited by a particular college and every college knew they were not the only college he was looking at. I cautioned him about getting caught up in the hype.. Recruiting is appropriately named a roller coaster ride because it has highs, lows, sharp turns and twists and some have very dark tunnels but they all come to an end ---- and the riders are almost always pleased with the outcome.
Fungo