Skip to main content

Reply to "Really.You got a full ride, no college costs?"

2017LHPscrewball posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 25% minimum required if a player is receiving athletic money is based on total cost (tuition + room and board).  I don't think a school can give you 25% of tuition only as a baseball offer.....ex) if your schools total cost is $10K tuition and $10K room/board, you're required to get $5K, not $2500.   I'm sure it can be worded differently, especially if you live off campus, but the total value is based on tuition + room/board

I haven't done any research, but would love to know the relative increases in tuition versus increases in room & board over the past 10 years and your basic State U.  Seems dorms are getting much nicer and costs are typically in excess of tuition, sometimes by a factor of 1.5x.  As noted above, there are times where off campus housing (when available and allowed by school/program) can provide a much lower cost alternative especially when the required meal plan can be avoided.

My kids both go to State D1's here in Ohio.....the tuition + room and board is virtually identical if you're in a dorm, roughly $20k and $21K. My daughter is a senior....her total cost (tuition + room/board)  has gone up about $3500 since she started 4 years ago.   Tuition is almost exactly half the total amount at both.  My daughter is off campus now.  Costs for her are ridiculously high compared to most other schools as the entire area within about a 3 mile radius of her school is all college housing and they know they can get whatever they want.  She lives with 5 others in a half of a huge duplex.  Her half has 5 bedrooms, so does the other half, so 12 kids total.....at $600/month PER KID!!!....but utilities are includes    They pay rent year round, but she was able to rent out her room over the summer.  Her costs including food are probably a little less than when she was in the dorms due to the ridiculously expensive meal plan she had and never used it all.

My son will probably save a little money next year when he moves off campus.  Smaller town, more options, his rent is going to be somewhere in the $250-300 month range.  He'll spend as much on food living off campus as he did on campus, but overall should save a couple thousand a year over dorm living.  More if he doesn't have to pay rent all summer.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015