Skip to main content

Reply to "Rear View Mirror"

I understand but I also see the situation we have at UT right now.  We have a back-up at 6 of the 8 positions that is a blink away from being as good.  If you mess up and lose your spot you may never get it back.  I feel the frustration but I also believe you play your best.  Some are better hitters and get on the field for their bat and some are better fielders and get on the field for their glove.  But if your strength lets you down for just one day and the other player behind you gets in they may never let you get it back.  What is wrong with that?  The strongest survive.  You started because you were the hottest on day one but the next guy up is hot now and unless he cools off you just sit and wait.  Great position to be in as a HC.  If you do your recruiting right, that is the situation you have every year.  We have what are projected to be 2 first round picks sitting the bench right now.  A kid who has sat for 3 years finally got his chance and he is bound and determined to not let anyone take his position, as of now.

it is the same with pitching.  Every D1 has 20 plus pitchers but on an average weekend will only use 6-8 of them.  The others have to get their time in midweeks or nothing.  I was asked this weekend why a coach would bring back 2 guys that relieved Friday on Sunday when there were so many on the bench that hadn't thrown.  Answer.  To see if they can do it before they have to know if they can do it.

The other big answer is coaches are trying to figure out who will help in the long run and who will need to be redshirted.  Heard 3 SEC coaches allude to it in interviews this weekend.