Skip to main content

Reply to "Reasonable expectations"

quote:
Originally posted by Texbbfan:

I thought I would start this thread again to maybe help our freshman and sophomore college parents out there. We lost a really good young player between fall and spring ball to a transfer because I think the parents/player's expectations were not where they should have been. Our son is in a very competitive top rated D1 school. When he started a couple of years ago, all we hoped for was for him to make the traveling team, not really expecting a whole lot of playing time, and we did and were thankful. Luckily for us participation and playing time has progressed. I think sometimes players (and parents) come into a program expecting to play right away or have all kinds of accolades bestowed on them because their son was a star in high school. I want parents to know, that most players at the college level were stars in high school. The parents who do best in college are those who dont have unreasonable expectations coming in... then everything else just seems like a blessing. Enjoy it instead of fuming over when or where your son will play. For those parents who are trying to decide which college is best for their son, check out the rosters, see who plays your son's position, how did he do, how many years of playing time does he have and then understand what you are getting into before he signs.

Tex, this post of yours should be pinned and put at the top of this page to stay permanently.

When my son was being recruited and we saw some of the college players during the tryouts, etc. it was easy (and naive) to perceive that he could play with some of these kids. When he ended his HS days being this so-called stud, etc. my mind thought he just might be starting material. laughs.

Fast forward to his freshman season which began last weekend. We have close to 18 pitchers at his JUCO. He was always a starter in HS, East Cobb, and his Legion team this past summer. He had some spot closing opportunities that he enjoyed as well. At the current moment he is in middle relief with about 8 other freshmen. Does he like it? No. But he told me that his goal for this season was to break into the starting line-up on weekends, or at least mid-week. Or become the closer. As a dad it was good to see that he now saw that nothing will be handed to him and he must earn it.

It's hard to say that I truly had unreasonable expectations, but I did wonder at first. And even though it is a process, I am sitting back and just encouraging him to focus on goal, and to not quit working hard. I think I read it here on hsbbw some time ago that a lot of kids who make it to the college level quit working because they feel that they have "arrived" and can slack up a bit. The ones who succeed while in college and go further are those who stay hungry and stay focused.

He, like Dad and mom, consider it a blessing to be playing ball. Trying to figure out how and when son would get mound time has made me scratch my head but I now just sit back and enjoy being there.

Great post again Tex!

Last edited by YoungGunDad