Skip to main content

Reply to "Reasonable expectations"

quote:
Originally posted by Texbbfan:

For those parents who are trying to decide which college is best for their son, check out the rosters, see who plays your son's position, how did he do, how many years of playing time does he have and then understand what you are getting into before he signs.

I wonder how many players and/or parents casually look over this aspect during the recruiting process. I mean, they look at these rosters and see it plain as day....2-3 2B, or 2-3 C, etc. and say to themselves, "I think Billy can break in and if not be #1, at least #2 right away." Wrong. Those #2 and #3 backups are there for a reason. The player and/or parent really needs to listen to the verbage of the college coach when he says "I think Billy can come in and make an immediate impact" or "I think he can get some playing time". We all have visions of grandeur when it comes to our sons playing ball but it seems we can't see the forest for the trees..lol.

Tex, your post is so well labeled "Reasonable Expectations" because I'm not sure a majority of those entering have them. Being served a big dose of humility can sometimes be a very good thing, IMO. I know because I am still eating my slice and having to wash it down with milk.

I may be completely wrong with what I am about to say. It's merely an observation. I can't help but wonder how many players leave a program due to lack of playing time with a Dad/mom who may have been back home complaining to son often about the injustice on the coach(s) part for not giving Billy the opportunity, not seeing his real talents, putting him on the JV team, etc. etc. The converse to this is the player who doesn't see much playing time right away, if at all, but see's his role, a new challenge worth working towards, having fun being there and learning so much, etc. coupled with a Dad/mom at home encouraging him to keep working hard, stay focused, be a team player, have fun, etc. They follow our lead and most times will listen to our suggestions. We should be very careful what we are saying when we speak to them about where they are at this point in their young lives.

I know I've been rambling but I can't help it. I am one of these parents who is learning a brand new process on how I should be at this point. It's much easier saying it than doing it and it's a daily thing.
Last edited by YoungGunDad