Skip to main content

Reply to "Reasonable expectations"

As the father of a freshman who was very active in the recruiting role I would love to add my two cents. First off it is MOST important to research the schools and teams you are interested in (or are interested in you) before committing. Find out everything you can, I even called parents of current student/players to find out what the school/team/coaches were like. (I actually called for the kids, but they were reluctant to speak to a parent). Do your research, know your limits, what type of a position are you willing to except, Being a backup to a backup on a World Series caliber team is just fine for some kids. After all, being part of a team (like a family) is a major benefit to surviving the trials and tribulations of college life. The support available to athletes is amazing. Chris had his heart set on a D1 school, even if it meant climbing the proverbial ladder for several years and finally in July the right one came along. The recruiter was very excited about our son and worked several offers to get him there, even though it was late and federal money was gone, a substancial package was made available. It was still more then we had planned on financially but who were we to stand in the way of our sons dreams. Besides, if it didn't work out there was always a JUCO to step back to, absolutely no shame in that. Luck would have it the day after signing our LOI the current shortstop signed a pro contract. Bingo, door opened and now it looks like he's the opening day SS. It all worked out and I look back at all the stress and worry and realize it was for naught. If you do your homework, and your son truly has a passion for the game and realistic expectations good things will happen. Its all about the RIGHT FIT!!!