Skip to main content

Reply to "Reasonable expectations"

Here's is a little bit of info from the parent of a HS Senior regarding right fit and patience. Our son has been coached to control the things you can control since he started playing this great game. It has paid off in HUGE dividends after signing with an NAIA school this fall. He had JC to D1 opportunities, but said the NAIA school offered exactly what he wanted. He was true to our program of not saying "no" to anyone until he said "yes" to the school of his choice.

Prior to Junior year, we sat down and discussed what was important to him from academics to athletics. We made a list of about 20 items and told him that when a school sent a letter, camp notice, enrollment information, e-mail, etc....(Jr or Sr. year) he would RESPOND, research, and rate each school...no matter what level (JC to D1) to each inquiry he received. Those were things he could control. We (parents) believed that since the finally decision was his, he better have as much information as possible...and he had to do the research.

Following his summer between Junior and Senior years (just 4 months ago), he narrowed his wish list to about 10 institutions. Several showed little if any interest in him because of their current rosters...they were eventually crossed off his list. His fall ball team played 2 teams on the list, both of which lacked the discipline, energy level and instruction from the coaching staff that was important to him...two more crossed off.

We visited each of the remaining schools and made a total of 3 visits to the school he eventually selected. We then assisted him in researching every aspect of the school and baseball program, including interviewing parents and players currently on the team, and some alumni from years ago. Those were things he (we) could control. As it happens, both of the players at his position will be graduating this spring...and he is one of two recruited this fall to fill those positions. I am extremely proud that he did not get caught up in the "I have to play D1"...and we questioned him hard on that issue.

In October, he gave the coach his verbal and signed one week later (NAIA school). We (the family) knows that it is the right fit for him and have absolutely no reservations about the school academically, socially, athletically, etc... WOW what a relief.

After the signing, which took place in our home, I asked him if he was satisfied with where he was in his decision. His response was a resounding yes...and he followed it up with this: "I am going to make it impossible for the coach to sit me. I control my effort level." Now Mom and Dad just need to be patient for the games to begin...next year.