Skip to main content

Reply to "Reclassification Rush"

Wanted to add this to the discussion, something I think is extremely worthy to think about. Yes, young athletes who are fortunate enough to be on the older side of the cutoff for baseball and other sports tend to be more mature, more physically developed and more sought after by coaches. However, when those who are lucky enough reach the professional stage, it is the others who were on the younger side and had to compete with the semi-older players who tend to show greatness and become stars. Why? I think because of the adversity they endured, especially when they reach a stage where they are competing against reclassified players. It really weeds out the kids who have true talent, desire and grit, and those who don’t. I think you need to think about this when you reclassify a child purely for future athletic reasons. In many cases, it’s like keeping kids in a slow-pitch hitting cage or lowering the basketball rim to 8 feet. Sure, they’ll dominate but if they’re destined for professional sports, shouldn’t you make things harder? I suggest everyone read this article, it was a real eye-opener for me: https://fivethirtyeight.com/fe...-who-becomes-a-star/