Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruited as PO"

@Baseballin posted:

My 2021 has been recruited as a pitcher only, but is now having second thoughts and wants to be a position player and hit too. What should he do? How should he go about this?

Agree with above.  Not a good time to be going to Coaches with something like that with roster spots at a premium.

To answer the question about how should he go about this....I think if your son is going to seriously consider it there has to be reason for a coach to consider a change like this.  Believe it or not, my son (SP) came to me AFTER his college freshmen year and said he wanted to hit.   He thought he could contribute something above what his teammates had done...which was not very good decision making at the plate.   I asked my son to really think hard about the message he is sending, and frankly he needs to focus on maintaining his spot in the starting rotation.   He agreed, and nothing more was said about it between us.  The following year the team had a breakout year (conference champions) at the plate and my son had a great year on the mound.

What I found out a couple years later was that one of my son's teammates and best friends asked the HC about changing from a pitcher to a position player in the middle of their breakout year.    That went over like a "fart at church".   My son told me "Freddy" can really hit and should be in the lineup, but HC won't put him in.  So, apparently some bridges were burned with his request.   I would think long and hard about it, and how your son approaches it.   

Just my experience....

Last edited by fenwaysouth