Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruited as PO"

@Wechson posted:

All of this is fascinating.  I think it's a combo of a few different factors.  Some of it just plain old school when it comes to coaching, part of it is numbers based (as explained earlier in the thread), and past of it is mechanics driven.  

My son is going through this right now. In the insanity of last year, he was recruited HA D3 and the HC has expressed that he thinks he can go 2 ways (based on primarily tape). For reference , my son has upper echelon D1 power in terms of bat speed, exit velocity, etc.  He has (for now) D3 RHP velo (85-88), and he's just ok at 1B.  Someone once asked him an excellent question:  If he was facing himself at the plate, who would he want to be? The pitcher or the batter?  His answer was immediate: pitcher.  

Part of the issue is that once you're a good travel pitcher, the machinery tends to lock you in as a PO, and then it becomes tough to excel at hitting given reps/timing etc.  Part of it, as I said earlier in the thread, is that the two skills are not really compatible mechanics-wise.    You're asking your body to do two, intense, yet different things.  Both require precision and practice to be fully maximized.  To be at an upper echelon and excel in both is truly difficult and rare.  

My guy is prepping for both as he enters his Freshman year, but the realistic expectations are that true 2way playing time is an *ambitious* goal.

Things change when the player gets to school and realizes that he can't do both without something suffering. Plus the injury factor becomes greater playing two positions.

I have been here a long time, dozens of folks telling us their son was recruited as a 2 way player.

I have never seen it work out.

The coach will use the player where he feels he needs his talent the most. 

Its up to him, totally.