Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruited as PO"

My son had dreams of being a 2-way (D2). As a Freshman, had a handful of appearances on the mound, no at bats in regular season. The team accepted an invitation to a post-season tournament, after most of the guys had left campus and went to their summer league, which left them short-handed. He DH'd four games and hit over .600. Come back for fall, he's a hitter, leads the team in average for the fall, somewhere around .440. In the starting lineup opening day, played a few games, hit his first collegiate HR, but made a couple errors in the field, out of the lineup. So he was in the bullpen the rest of the shortened covid year, a handful of appearances. This past fall, strictly PO, and this season worked his way into the starting rotation, throwing as well as he ever has. I attribute that to being able to concentrate and train for one thing. I don't know if he'll have another college AB, but coach did tell him he knows he can still hit, so I guess the door is still open very slightly.

I know he can pitch at this level, I know he can hit at this level. However, I don't think he can do both and excel at both. There just aren't enough hours in the day with classes/homework. It takes a special kid to be excellent at both at the same time, and even at that probably nothing more than DH'ing if he's a pitcher that's used often.