Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruited as PO"

@PTWood posted:

There were several school that recruited my son as a two-way. Those schools immediately dropped to the bottom of his list because he was realistic that if a team was looking at him to pitch, they saw him as a pitcher (he has a protypical pitcher's body). Even some of his first HS coaches told him he would eventually become a pitcher. He knew that to truly develop as a hitter (his passion), he needed the reps hitting and  he needed to hit the weight room; developing his pitching would cut into that time. It is very hard for someone who is dividing their time between hitting and pitching to truly compete at the next level in both with those that are focusing on just one. So I would say anyone who is considering two-way, it should be because they have the tools AND they fervently love both and not just because they are curious and want to see if they can.

You just reminded me of something similar with my son.  Except it was the opposite way.  Through Pony league and travel ball my son played SS and pitched.  Around 15 or so his coach (local area scout) told him nobody is ever going to consider you as a pitcher, you're a MIF.  Not because he was not good but because of his build and height.  He's currently still a starting SS in college and has an infield throwing velocity of 92.