Skip to main content

Reply to "recruiting advice"

There are many on this board who have more experience than I, but here are my thoughts:

If your goals are to play in college and be a 2 way, it may limit you in what schools will be available to you.  2-way are fairly uncommon, especially at a D1 level.  You'll have more opportunities at D2 and D3.

So you probably need to ask yourself, what is your main goal.  Is it to be 2-way, D1, or whatever else.

86 in January for a 2020 is very good.  Not sure why the drop-off and/or if you're still growing.  But if you are, that 86 can project well which can open D1 doors.  But, again, that may mean focusing on PO and giving up the 2-way.

My son is a 2019 RHP and he knew pitching is what was going to butter his bread, so he went PO when on varsity as a sophomore.  Also, my son's travel coach has had much more influence than my high school.  I was told the opposite years ago, bc they're 'paid', but he's a college coach himself so much more respected and trusted. 

While we're on that subject, I would highly recommend having a travel coach be a college coach (may be worth a topic in of itself).  My son has had many college coaches watch him pitch, and I spend most of my time watching the interaction with his travel coach.  They talk constantly in between innings.  Not sure if this is common with all teams/coaches or not.  Not to mention he has told us he called coaches directly, as "he knew them well."

Good luck to you!  Sorry for getting off track a bit.