Skip to main content

Reply to "recruiting advice"

I just read your profile... sounds like targeting D1 is high on your list of priorities.  Of course, the higher the level, the more difficult to get recruited, make a roster and compete at any position.  Most D1 players who become either a PO or position player were very good at both in HS but had to focus on their best position or skill set to have a chance to play at the next level.  Think about the best shortstops you saw at WWBA.  Think about the best P's you saw.  Which are you going to most likely be able to compete with in the next year or so?  I say SS's because that's who D1 colleges recruit to fill their MIF roles... the very best SS's.

We haven't seen you play.  If the answer is PO, as I suspect it is, you still have the next two years to enjoy both.  Then, after your high level competitive baseball career is over, you can get back to scratching that other itch if it's still there.

If, on the other hand, you think you have it in you to become a top recruit as a MIF (become very athletic, have great range, great hands and feel for the positions, hit the crap out of the ball consistently against top pitchers, etc.), then maybe that direction will remain an option.  But know this... even if you become a desirable recruit as a P and as a position player, there are a ton of other factors that will likely steer the coach to want you as either one or the other and not both. 

P's and position players have different schedules, workouts and daily routines in college.  Doing both often requires nearly double duty.  Then, there is the task of a coach to balance use of a P as a position player in terms of arm care... very difficult.  So, if the coach has 15 other good P's on his staff, why would he want to deal with that?  You better be markedly better than the very good recruits and returners he already has on staff.  Most HS players underestimate just how good and how deep D1 rosters are. 

IMO, if a player wants to be a 2-way in college, he has to be willing to play at a level where he clearly stands out among his college peers on both sides.