Skip to main content

Reply to "recruiting advice"

Bossdude posted:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I play MIF and pitch which I started when I was 13. At 15 I was told that I couldn’t play MIF as I was too tall, wasn’t athletic enough etc and I have persisted and played MIF for my hs team and occasionally for my travel team as well.  All the comments have given me a lot to think about and please keep them coming 

I have a 2020 son who hates the idea of being a PO....I'll tell you the same thing I tell him.  Yes, you can hit, yes you can field, but you are an amazing pitcher and if you don't capitalize on that now you are just messing yourself up.  If a coach is excited to see you pitch then you pitch!   You can have all the thoughts and plans in your head that you want but it will come down to the coaches.  This isn't a case of the 5'8 guy who wants to pitch and has talent convincing the coaches to give him a shot in the game.  The game has determined that your role is pitcher.  That is what will get you to the next level.  If you take away pitching do you truly stand out from any other 16 year old baseball player?

I know it's tough love but baseball is a business.  You don't have time to convince a coach you are a two way player, you need to convince him that you are a pitcher.  Focus on what you are good at!  I know baseball is supposed to be fun, and sitting on a bench 5 out of 6 games isn't fun, but you are getting to the point where you need to stand out.  You can't do that if your focus is split.  This idea that you have that you are a two way player may be true, but are you a better pitcher than position player?