Skip to main content

Reply to "recruiting advice"

CaCO3Girl posted:

I know it's tough love but baseball is a business.  You don't have time to convince a coach you are a two way player, you need to convince him that you are a pitcher.  Focus on what you are good at!  I know baseball is supposed to be fun, and sitting on a bench 5 out of 6 games isn't fun, but you are getting to the point where you need to stand out.  You can't do that if your focus is split.  This idea that you have that you are a two way player may be true, but are you a better pitcher than position player?

100% agree with CaCO3Girl's bolded words above.   You do what separates your skills from others.   My son was a PO on his national travel team and two way player on his high school team that batted 3rd in the lineup.   He was all-district DH in high school but never picked up a bat in college.  Bottom line is there were better hitters on his travel team and eventual college team.   There weren't better starting pitchers on his travel team or college team.

if you are fortunate enough to be the 5-6% of high schoolers that move on to play college baseball then count your blessings.   It is a select (extremely) few of that 5-6% that will be two-way players in college at any level.   Most of those 5-6% that are given that opportunity to play college baseball were two way players in high school but will soon realize they are competing with men in college for roster positions, travel team, playing time and the starting lineup.   It is better to focus on what you can do extremely well, and separate yourself from the crowd.

Good luck!