Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting After Cancer"

D2020 posted:

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and thoughtful replies. I really appreciate the points some of you made about letting him take the lead on how to share his story.  That's great advice. His coaches have suggested that while college programs might be put off, many will find his experience with overcoming adversity appealing. Mental toughness and character can be hard traits to measure.

on the question from PABASEBALL, last spring his fastball was sitting at 83 mph. In terms of his ambition for playing, I think he would want to play at the biggest school he possibly could. He knows the big D1s are out of reach but he hasn't yet given up on the idea of a small D1,  with several IFs yet to be answered. IF he gets back to the low 80s soon and IF he can grow from there and IF those things can happen within the recruiting window for his class, which might be the biggest IF of all.

I might be inclined to agree with his coaches. Some schools might be put off for fear of health issues down the line. Not much you can do about that. Which is why I would let your son's play speak for itself and when it comes up it comes up. I'm sure there are some coaches who might see it as a positive. Hey look how well this kid is performing and he's just getting back into it. I think you have some good advice from RJM and Cabbage. Don't lead with it, but I would not shy away from it if it were to come up. 

As for the baseball. Don't rush into anything. Let him get back to 100% as he feels comfortable. See how he's throwing in May/June and go from there. Recruiting isn't happening until after the HS season ends so he has all summer and some of the fall months to get in front of some schools. Good Luck