Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting After Cancer"

hopefulmom posted:

I can speak to a little of this - First off, I am thrilled that your son is doing well! Always good news to hear when someone perseveres. My son has Crohns' disease and has been getting regular IV infusions every 6 weeks since he was 8 years old. Due to this disease, he will most likely never be a "heavy" kid. He is a RHP - 6'0, 160. He lost 7 pounds in a month at the end of junior year high school baseball season during a rather grueling flare. It took a while for him to put that weight back on and he works out regularly. He was actively speaking with a coach at a D2 school and was very interested. He was offered a spot in summer of junior year and asked to come back in September for official visit. We talked about it as a family and thought that the time was right for him to be transparent about his disease and what his limitations might be when he went for the official visit.  Up until then , we felt like you did - maybe if they knew what he deals with on a daily basis and still maintains high academics and can throw a ball pretty well, maybe that would make more of an impression? All in all, our son had a conversation with the coach during his visit and when the coach approached us as parents to ask if we had questions, we asked if our son had spoken to him about the disease and he said he had and none of that mattered to him or worried him. He actually said he had a good friend who was battling the same thing and he completely understood and would do whatever was necessary for our son to stay healthy. Now, we have no idea how this will play out in the Fall when he steps on campus, but in the end, we feel comfortable knowing that coach is on board. I would wait until you have a clear picture of what school your son is really interested in and then you can decide as a family when the right time is. In the long run - you, your son and everyone else who is aware of his medical issue know the heart of what he has gone through and how he has overcome it.

Good luck to your son and I hope he continues to have good health!

Thank you for this. Your son sounds pretty damned impressive. My son will be glad to hear his story.