Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Assessment - Odds of This Player & Where"

@DanJ posted:

LOTS of great advice is just about every post in this thread.  Reread it all and then reread it again.  If you can, get your son to read it as well.  Will likely mean a lot more to him reading it than you summarizing it for him.

I think VERY few kids are presented with a neatly laid out buffet of offers (or anything close to that), but I often think that's how many kids think it will be.  "Here is are all my offers.  Now I just need to pick the best one."  It doesn't work that way.  Especially in the Covid era, when the offers come and when they need to be accepted/declined by will largely determine which offer is "best."  I am not a paranoid person nor do I think the sky is falling, but there are a BUNCH of things happening right now* that support the notion that recruiting won't be anywhere close to "normal" for 2022s.  My son is a 2021 and recently jumped on a good JUCO offer even though D1 is the goal.  I am stupid grateful he committed and where he landed.  I think there are a TON of uncommitted 2021s who are about be gobsmacked in the next 2-3 months.  If my son were a 2022, I'd conduct my recruiting efforts right now under the premise that high school baseball won't be played in the spring.  If it does, great.  But plan as though it won't right now.  My advice to uncommitted 2021s is to accept NOW/yesterday.  For 2022s, mark a date by which you think you want to be committed by and then commit 2-4 months BEFORE that date if you can.  Is that paranoid?  Silly?  Possibly.  But if the goal truly is to play college ball, I think it's smarter than waiting and gambling.

* - even if college football happens this fall and/or spring, it is not going to generate anywhere near the revenue it needs to help support baseball programs in a normal fashion.  UConn just axed their football season.  The NFL is being eroded more each day due to opt outs.  MLB is hanging on a by a thread as well as other sports.  The number of Covid seniors coming back to play college baseball is far larger than seemed logical.  If college baseball is messed with/truncated next spring at all, the NCAA is likely going to grant another year of eligibility to everyone.  I just don't see anything other than "hope" right now that argues things will be back to normal anytime soon.  Not even close to normal.  "Settling" might not look anything like settling in just a few months.  Just my 2 cents. 

Danj I sent you a pm