Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Assessment - Odds of This Player & Where"

@adbono posted:

Francis, nobody on this board (or anyone else that hasn’t seen your son play in person more than once) can accurately predict your son’s future for you.  If college coaches are talking to him that should be your guide. The marketplace dictates where players fit, not the other way around. There isn’t really anything that anyone can do to accelerate the process. At some point your son will have impressed a school enough to generate an offer - or he won’t. It sounds like he probably will but there is very little you can to to determine who that is - other than doing what you can to help your son improve and getting him to venues that will get him exposed to the right schools. If your son knows what he wants to do for a living (and the degree he needs to do that) I would focus on D3, D2 & NAIA schools that offer the right major. Then I would get him to showcases and camps where those schools attend - whenever that’s again possible. Start with the end (degree) and work backwards. Use this down time to create a plan based on an academic goal. If your son ends up being a better player than expected that’s a good problem to have. 

Thanks. He's been talking to coaches. Basically, it's between him and them - and I'm out of it until I need to be because they want him to come in or something, or fill out an early financial aid form, etc.

On the D1 side, it's been 3 schools. One said in January that he was in their rotation of prospects for his position for 22s. But then a few months later a local committed there. So, that's probably out. Another said that they have been tracking him for months and he was their #1 2022 C. But, their school doesn't offer his major - so, that died. The other one is a local D1 and still in play. He talks to their recruiting coach frequently - it's an ongoing conversation. They talk almost once a week for a while now.

There is another D2 who is very interested and wants him to come in for a visit in the fall as soon as allowed per the pandemic.

That is what I know based on what he's sharing. He wants to keep things close to his chest until I need to be involved since, per him, "I know you're going to get too excited about anything I tell you."

That's fine. I've offered to help and made it clear to him "It's your choice. But, remember, if you shut me out, then you can't say 'Why didn't you help me?' when it doesn't work out the way you wanted."