Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Assessment - Odds of This Player & Where"

@Francis7 posted:

Danj - I agree that 2021, 2022 and 2023 are going to be different than the recruiting experience in the past. Between the NCAA giving kids another year, baseball cutting the draft and the recruiting scene shifting to video, streaming and referrals, kids better be ready to move sooner and quicker than in the past and be open to all options.

Agree with a good deal of this.  Right now, if you were not at the top of a schools' recruiting board by last year, getting recruited for D1 is going to be nearly impossible.  Teams are either not recruiting at all due to returning upperclassmen, or cost concerns.  Many RC's were furloughed, or can't see kids in person.  So it's just not worth it for them to recruit players off of video or livestream when they don't really have to or simply don't have the funds to do so.  A tough situation will be even tougher should @DanJ 's prediction for the spring come to fruition. 

The ripple effect here is that many potential D1 players are now opting to go the D3 route.  Even some D3's have returning seniors and limited recruit classes (I'll use Tufts as one name example I am aware of).  So D1 now impossible and D3 more stringent than ever.  It's like every division just increased a notch in terms of degree of difficulty.  

In other words, if a player was on the fence about D3 v D1, I'd advise hopping off. The decision you believe to be there...may very well not be.  Consider D3 a valuable and fortunate opportunity to play, now at an even higher level given talent influx.