Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Catchers"

BackstopMom posted:

.... My son’s travel coach is a guy who was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft out of high school as a catcher many years ago.  ...He doesn’t like or believe in the entire system of recruiting.  ... he keeps telling my son one consistent thing that I haven’t confirmed but is probably true.  He said if you want to play at a high D1 level in college you should go JuCo because the best programs bring catchers in from JuCo to start as juniors and seniors. ...  Our son has wanted to play baseball at a HA school, so this was never an option for him.  However, occasionally he’d come home after practice and try to sell us on the idea that JuCo was better for him based on his coach’s comments.  ...

Your son's travel coach may be a great coach and I'm sure it is very helpful to your son that he was a high level C.  But this really bothers me.

First, the bolded is a dangerous generalization.  There is a large pool of colleges that will recruit JC transfers and there is also a large pool that will not (or very rarely do).  If anything, the HA schools are more likely to be the ones that do not.

Second, you have a son that wants to play at a HA school and a coach who is repeatedly suggesting he go JuCo.  That is really not good advisement unless there is more to the story.  Be careful.  As with most coaching/teaching scenarios, there are usually many things you can take away that are very good and some things you might need to block out.