Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Catchers"

My son has been a catcher almost exclusively since age 10. He was an All-State catcher in 2019 (junior year). He loves catching and has batted cleanup since freshman year on high school and summer teams. Our problem in recruiting was his arm. Scouts would see his throw to second and say “nope, he’s a pitcher...I want to see him pitch.” His coach would promise to let scouts see him pitch, but would make them sit through six innings of him catching first because my son wanted to be a college catcher. Then he’d pitch the last inning.

He had three D1 offers this summer....all for pitching, two very high mid-majors and one P5. They all admitted he was a very talented catcher, but they wanted the “arm” more. I never thought he’d give up catching but he’s happy with the idea of pitching. 

The whole point is that other people might see potential/skills in your kid that you may not recognize. And....this crazy recruiting stuff can take very unexpected paths. I’ll miss having my son catch! Good luck to your son!