Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting for Juniors and Seniors"

There are almost as many avenues to the finish line as their are prospects. No one path is right. No one path is wrong. Everyone has to figure out their own path. I want to comment on PG events. Full disclosure, my son did East Cobb, Fort Myers and Cape Cod PG tournaments. He never did a PG showcase. I’m not sure if the Cape Cod event exists anymore.

The level of competition at PG events is great. But PG is not necessary for recruiting. The top shelf studs are going to be found quickly regardless. Most players will play college ball regionally. Regional events are more likely to provide the proper exposure without the distraction of every top shelf stud in the country

The colleges most interested in my son were at the PG events. But they had already “discovered” him in more regional events. I placed discovered in parenthesis because he wasn’t discovered. His travel coaching staff contacted the colleges ahead of time and promoted him as a fit to be evaluated. His travel team coaching staff were his advocates. Outside top shelf studs colleges can’t miss players need advocates.

The more local events he participated required a scout’s recommendation. It didn’t mean he was going to be drafted. It meant he had the potential and was likely a D1 prospect.

What my son got from PG tournaments more than anything was the personal feedback he could hang on the field with anyone.