Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting for Juniors and Seniors"

another parent - I have not been around this site for many years but admire the way you think about life and baseball.  I knew Jerry Ford and still sometimes correspond with him once and a while via email.  People thought he was using the site to promote his business and I saw it quite the opposite.  He was one our greatest resources (along with bbscout RIP).  He told stories of how his son (Andy I believe) grinded his way to the big leagues and his first shot was a start at Yankees stadium pitching for the Yankees.  He talked about how excited he and his wife were to be in attendance that day.  Unfortunately, the young man got hit hard and did not pitch well.  The Yankees fans booed him unmercifully as the manager took him out.  To say the least, Jerry and his wife were devastated.  What baseball parent cannot relate to that?  Jerry talked about how he never thought his big league son would ever succeed at baseball let alone make it to the big leagues.  He talked about how his older boy was the one who had all the talent yet never amounted to much as a baseball player.  Jerry is considered one of the top baseball experts in the country and his estimates of his own sons were wrong.  What no one can measure, is the inner spirit that comes from God.  Some kids try harder than others even though they are not the most physically talented.  Jerry helped hundreds if not thousands of people without them ever attending one of his events.  If people want to attend PG events, God bless them.  If they want to try it other ways, God bless them too.  It was a sad day for all of us when Jerry stopped posting here.