Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting for Juniors and Seniors"

That's just fantastic.  Congratulations to your son and family!  I suspect that most people who are negative about the value of PG metrics and rankings still secretly make it a point to check out a players profile before making an opinion on a players abilities.   Would you be willing to share some insight on your son's strategy to manage offers?  Sounds like he'll get a bunch.  What kind of messaging did he give the offering coaches in response ("thank you, I'll consider this carefully but I'm not ready to make a decision")?   Did you get deadlines from them?  Thank you.

Well, currently he has 4 Juco offers, one D1 offer from a mid major program, and has two D3 schools that I guess don't have anything to offer in the form of athletic scholarship.   However, the D3 schools did guarantee him admission and have said that they want him on their baseball team, so I guess those would be considered offers/opportunities.  There are some other D1 programs that he has spoken with, but haven't offered.   Also, there was another D1 program that told him that they have offered other players already, but that he was next on their list.

None of the programs that have offered have given him a deadline.   I think that the Juco schools have the impression that he will not be signing with them, but he hasn't told them that.    For the most part, he has told all of the programs that "this has all happened so quickly, I don't think that I am prepared to make a decision right now."  The D1 school that offered him, he has never even seen their campus, but has plans to do so within the next month.   I am sure that once he visits the campus then they will probably start to put more pressure on him etc...   

I will add that the D1 school that offered him, offered 50%, and the assistant coach stated that they believe more D1 offers are coming.  However, they haven't given him a deadline or anything.   I suspect that my 2024 is going to try to not think much about recruiting and concentrate on his spring high school season.  They are favored to win the State Championship this year so that will probably get all of his focus.

As far as his strategy for being recruited.   The Juco schools are all within our state and knew about him from their own scouting and baseball circles within our state.  All but one of them offered him at the end of the Spring 10th grade season.   The D3 and D1 programs that have shown interest were a result of his email message that he sent them with stats, videos, PG profile link etc...  We did spend the money to have a NCSA account.   The advantage we found with that account is that the coaches seemed to be very responsive with emails that came through that account.   When my son would email a coach from his personal email account he wouldn't get any response.  The same email message sent through NCSA would result in coaches emailing him back.  No this isn't a plug for NCSA, I'm just passing along what seemed to work for my son.

Last edited by Ster