Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting for Juniors and Seniors"

I find this site a tremendous resource for recruiting info and hope to help others with my son’s experience. He is a 2024 who received multiple D1 offers (mid to low major programs) and had others on the way until he committed to the school that was always his top choice from the start (high profile academics). This literally came out of nowhere after a tremendous summer season. Our goal was always a D3 high academic school.

For him it wasn’t tools like PG or NCSA that got college coaches’ attention - it was his travel coach/program that facilitated the connections. To me, the travel coach is a far better tool than something like a NCSA membership or entrance fee to a showcase. I think the reputation and reach of a travel coach is the best tool your son can use. Unless he is a stud who doesn’t need an intermediary.

His scholarship offers were 60%. Ironically the hardest part for this process was my son calling the coaches to say “no” to them. Some were professional hearing the info, others weren’t. One in particular who wasn’t professional served as a a good sign for my son not to pick that school.

Others have written this and I can’t agree more - go where you are loved.

Committing early should be good for HS ball and travel moving forward. The recruiting and decisions were becoming a burden for him. Ultimately, be honest with yourself and your kid - pick a school for academics and a good social fit.

We definitely looked at the schools’ roster size and the amount of transfers on rosters. A priority when analyzing schools.

Other recruiting notes we came across. Two high profile schools showed a lot of interest but weren’t going to offer unless he had 1 more MPH pitching. Crazy they would make that distinction. But also a bad sign to me. They are looking at kids based on numbers and will look at a lot of kids who get to that plateau. There you are a number not a player.

The other top choice for my son showed interest- texted and called him. But we’re slow doing so and that’s a big sign. He was probably on the B list. This school also has a lot of transfers.

Bottom line - don’t wait if someone makes your son on their A list.