Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting/Future help"

WOW - Things have changed and I haven't been on the forum in a while. I'm blown away by the responses and how informative/accurate they were. Thank you guys so much. Such a great resources for people struggling w/ similar issues.

I wanted to update you on my son's story. 

He had a banner sophomore year in HS. Had a 1.42 ERA in 34 innings in the state's highest classification, led his team in hitting and ... was on the mound when his team won the state championship! LOL, things couldn't have gone much better. 

His good fortune continued last summer. He led his summer team in hitting and was the top pitcher on the team. Velo still hovered in the 82-85 ranged though, and he didn't receive an offer through our summer season. We, again, were frustrated. The RC at the mid-major D1 in our state attened like 15 of our games last summer. They offered 5 players from our summer team. Not my son. And that was really baffling b/c the RC watched them play. He saw my son outpitch and outhit kids he offered. 

So we again, were happy w/ where he was at. Knew something good would happen eventually. But were still frustrated. 

He had one more chance to end the summer with a bang. He received an invite to PBR's Future Games in Atlanta. It's quite the spectacle - 300+ college coaches in the stands. On the event's final day, he got his turn to pitch. Threw two clean innings - sat 84-87 and hit 86 or 87 15 times in those two frames. At that point, I was just so happy for him. I didn't GAF what mid-major D1 RC thought or anybody else. I was proud of him and knew that something good would happen for him at some point.

As we're driving back from ATL, showcase guy calls me. "XXXXXXX," the HC at an out-of-state SEC school, "is about to call" my son. He did and they had a great convo that ended in an offer. And here's the one thing that stuck w/ me about that phone call. He said "We like what we saw man. We believe that you can get outs in the SEC and we want you." A previous poster had mentioned "getting outs." 

Over the course of the next two days, we pick up two more D1 offers. And then my phone rings again. It's our showcase guy, "Coach XXXXX," the PC at an SEC super power, wants my son to call him. "They're [SEC super power and School A from the original post] about to offer him." And they did!! True to their word, when he showed he could "sit" 85+, they offered immediately. 

It was THE offer. Nothing could be better. So my son said he wanted to commit and did. He was well aware that the real work was only beginning and there was no guarantee about anything. But he said it'd be impossible for him to ever receive a better offer. So he committed.

And that's where we are today - a 2021 LHP sitting 85-86, committed to his dream school and well on his way to a shot at the next level. 

Covid has really screwed stuff up - our chance to repeat as state champs mainly - but he's continued to work. He actually set a personal best run-n-gun today, actually, of 93. Driveline, good people, performing when it counts and a 100% committed approach has gotten him to where he is today. His ACT is up, slightly, to a 20. But he's gonna get it up more. 

Moral of this story is EXACTLY what people were telling me a year ago - relax, be patient and keep working. Good things will happen and they did. 

Hope this story helps somebody and again, thank you for helping me!