Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting plan for high academic D3"

I've said this before and I'll say it again....everything you need to know about D3 HA recruiting is right here posted in these electronic pages.  You don't have to spend many thousands of dollars.   Certainly not $8.2K to figure out the best fit.  Save that money for D3 HA tuition because you are going to need it!  By definition, D3 HAs are going to be recruiting nationally because the admission rates are so low.  So, yes you do need to get in front of these coaches and have a large (showcases, academics showcases) and small target strategy (recruiting camps) that fit your budget.  Recruited walk-on is an option as well.  Recruited walk-on doesn't have the same meaning for a D3 HA as it does for a D1 school.  There are plenty of stories floating around about D3 HA walk-ons that play college baseball.   

As I posted on the previous page, my son's travel coach had only one D3 HA relationship in his "rolodex" (Washington & Lee).  That didn't deter him.  D3 HA engineering schools were a major target for us, and we spent a lot of time researching this.   We did the work rather than spend a significant amount of money.  What matters is the travel or high school coach will support you if they are called by the college coach.   

We got our best results matching the academic fit and then bolting on the baseball. These coaches have a very difficult job, and they have to recruit nationally to get the combination of academic/athletic skills that will make it through Admissions.  Making sure you have both covered makes their job easier.  The first hurdle is academic.  My son used the same "matching the academic fit and then bolting on baseball approach" in his final college selection.  It just so happened that he thought the D1 Ivy had a broader/deeper engineering program than the D3 HA NESCAC school.  That was his only criteria.  Finding the academic fit first makes things so much easier in the D3 HA recruiting game.  JMO.