Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting questions"

Fungo,
Gee I never thought of transfering for girlfriends, good one! Big Grin

Not being happy can encompass a lot,being homesick, health issues (arm), not seeing eye to eye with the coach you spend hours with, coaching changes,not keeping up with the academic program, money issues and of course lack of time on the mound. Some of those transfers on the list were from a school that changed divisions, there is another reason for transfering!

I know of a pitcher who was very happy where he was playing, but felt with his draft year coming up he wanted a bigger role. He went to a smaller program.

I also know of a player who thought he would see more time on the mound in his freshman and sophmore years, but he did his homework while recruiting and decided that not being the top starter and pitching 100+ vs. 70 innings was in his best interest in the end. He also felt that giving up mound time was worth it because he loved the school, his team mates and his coaches.
Smile
So it goes back to recruiting, do your homework, if you know it's very unlikely you will see much time on the mound and that's not what you want, don't go. If you can accept that fact that you most likely will not see much time until your junior/senior year, then go. I know it is hard to tell as a senior in HS, but look closely at the schools you are interested in it's apparent that they do things the same way, year after year. POP often come on here, saying they were surprised their pitcher didn't get more time as a freshman because he was so good in HS. Most likey he was, and is, he just has a lot to learn first as a college pitcher.

Everyone knows that pitchers are over recruited. Lots of HS stars now become relievers, closers and not given the start they feel they deserve. A good program works with their pitchers to develop, others don't do much for them, it's a what can you do for me now situation. Also many transfer because they don't want to redshirt.
The same as for position players, just more pitchers to go around, why you have half the transfer list as pitchers.
So maybe recruiting is different for pitchers than position players, lots more to think about.JMO.

Sorry to get off the subject!
Last edited by TPM