Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Scenerio #2: Recruited Walk On"

You are right TXMom about throwing baseball into the mix making things very complicated.

My son wants to play baseball in college but what I was trying to say is that because there are so many uncertainties associated with collegiate sports, like in all of life, a sound decision regarding your education is the best place to start.

It seems that many young men and their parents get caught up very quickly in the "ego boost" that recruiting provides and that they may compromise a quality education along the way. It is nice to read about all of the players and parents that have made their own decisions and things have worked out great. You don't read to often on this site about the reality of players who went to schools that they normally would not have if it were not for sports and things simply did not work out for one of a million possible reasons.

I certainly want my son to follow his dreams of playing collegiate baseball but also realize that he has a long and hopefully gratifying life/career ahead of him when he is done with baseball and a quality education is where that all begins.