Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Services"

Strikes,

It dawned on me yesterday that I thought I knew who you all were talking about. After a pm to Coach Merc, I know understand who it is.
I don't know of anyone he has helped personally in my state find a scholarship. He charges, therefore he is a recruiter, but works differently than most. I didn't even realize until I put this all together he charges for anything.
He obviously works hard in fulfilling many requests from parents, coaches and showcase people.
I think that we have stereotyped the college recruiter, the one who takes your money and then sends a letter to a school. Tells you that you do not have to do anything else.

This is not the case, I hear teh person works hard in getting these kids exposure, to important events. He is known here by word of mouth. As I stated I didn't even know he had a recruiting service until a friend of mine told me he didn't do much to get her son into a school. But I think, now that I know who it is, she was paying for advice, and she didn't want to spend the money that was needed for exposure.
I somehow missed the first page of this thread, when I saw my son's coach mentioned, I had a feeling I thought I knew who you were speaking of.

After reading over your post and knowing who you are talking about, I understand your frustration at us old timers. But you and Coach Merc have to understand that the experience you had was NOT the norm, and if you had been a bit clearer on the individual, his background, it would have clarified your personal experience.
But think about how you began your thread.... you did a police check on the man...just goes to show you how the whole business is perceived.. not well.
If you look back at my first post, I was not negative towards you at all, I asked a question and did mention that if this worked for you, then that was great. I am a firm believer that the key to obtaining a scholarship, you have to throw enough you know what to the fan before some sticks.
I know that Fungo, gives excellent advice, and I do know that we follow the same philosophy, that recruiting services in general don't work for you. However, I do believe if he had known the situation, understood your post he would have understood the situation. We are here to help protect others who have no idea how to go about the process, which seems easier for us because we have been there and done that. We also are fortunate that our sons may have had an edge where others didn't, our location, our kids played year round, not from the colder climates where the scouts and college recruiters don't hang out.
Ebaseball's jump on the bandwagon didn't help either. Unfortunetly, while I believe his service may be of some value, he has not presented it now or in the past as very useful, been there at teh wrong time, but that is JMO.
Thank you catchermom for your post, I think it says alot.
Last edited by TPM