Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting; Summer Camps v. Showcases v. Summer Team"

Obviously you cannot do it all. I truly believe that going to your favorite college's camps is very important, along with select showcases that traditionally have a good following of college scouts.

Now having said that you need to look at the rosters from this year see who they are losing next year (they will be listed on the 2005 roster as a Junior) They are the voids that the coach is going to be looking for. So if you see they have three or four Junior MIF that will be graduating in 2006 and your son is MIF then he may have a good shot at a position on that particular college roster. You get the idea. That is what you need to do for each of the 15 schools he interested in to narrow down the spots that will become available.

My son does not have the size to play college football, he loved football, was the QB on JV he played football until his Sophomore year and then had a conflict with a good baseball showcase he was invited to, he had to decide because the varsity football coach would not excuse him from the practices and scrimmage that he was going to miss. He made the decision on his own that baseball was going to be his sport from then on Spring, Summer, & Fall. It was a good decision on his part. He concentrated on nothing but baseball, worked hard in the off season and played in 75 games his Junior year including the fall of his Senior year. He went to several very good showcases and college camps, it paid off, he signed this past November to play college baseball.

Pick and choose showcases/camps and do your homework on those college rosters. I honestly know that it is very important for him to meet in person the coaches of the prospective schools on his list.

It's also important for him to see the campus in person, some look pretty good on the internet and when you go there in person they can look very different.

Good luck to him !

CV
Last edited by cvsting