Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

2020.2023dad posted:

I have a similar question about my 2020.

-6'1 215

-I don't have a 60 time 7.3-4 ?

-Position Velocity 78

-R-R, OF 1b (pitches on summer team but would not in college)  

-Exit velo 97 (no kidding); outstanding hitter

-GPA 3.95 (advanced AP courses ).  Practice test scores indicate  28-30 on the ACT / 1250 SAT. He is probably going to study engineering or biology (does not want to be a physician though)

We are getting the best outside training in our area in hitting, throwing mechanics and speed/agility.  And the summer teams practices twice a week.  

All sounds good, right? However, we committed to a team with a handful of his HS teammates that is with a good local organization (their B team) that has good training but the schedule really will not result in much exposure.   HS team and coach are not going to be much help. 

Should we just try to play some with better teams who might do a PG, WWBA or other high exposure or look to get picked up by a better team now?  Has anyone had success getting D1 exposure playing on an average team?  I suppose we could do a college and get some numbers out there.  Or would it be better just to pick a few schools show up to their camps and see if he gets noticed?     

My son is one who wants to play with friends and our team has been average in the past. He has gotten very little exposure with the team.  That said, we have made a lot of effort to get him seen at showcases and college camps.  It is working.  He is talking to the schools he is interested in and several are top D1 programs.  That said, we've had to spend quite a bit of money traveling to PBR and PG showcases and have done camps at the schools he really wants to attend.  We also spend a good amount of time engaging and sending video and then following up before camps.