Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's been very helpful. Much in line with my expectations, there are varying degrees and opinions on most things and some strong similarities on certain topics in this thread. To Batty's point about size, I have heard that from time to time from coaches, parents, and former players, specifically in relation to big D1 schools for the most part. Then I hear comments like the one from Buckeye, and watch players like Dodger C, Austin Barnes (5'10"/185) and believe there remains hope for my son. He probably won't grow vertically much more and will be pushing it to ever hit 200lbs but I try not to kill the dream for him until it's really dead, which it by no means is at this point (for playing somewhere).

Most importantly for my family, there is some level of confirmation here that I believe we're doing most of the right things given our scheduling and financial abilities as well as my son's athletic and academic position; and we're enjoying the heck out of the process by the way! The bottom line is that he wants the college experience that he has in mind and if that doesn't involve baseball then so be it. We're in for some interesting times if opportunities begin to present themselves at smaller, or more rural, locations. He'll have to make some decisions at that point as to just how important playing college baseball is.