Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

As you are finding out there are many aspects to the recruiting game.  First of all, I would suggest ditching the recruiting service.  They are only there to make money.  Everything they do you can do yourself with a higher level of success.  

Next, I would take a long hard look at your sons travel program.  Are they known for getting kids into college?  If not then you are in the wrong program.  If they are then are you on the A or B (depending on program) team that they use to place kids?  If you are on the B(sometimes) or C team then they may be using your money to fund the recruiting efforts for the kids on the A team.  Also, do they target the level at which your son will be playing?  If your son projects mid-D1 and they seem to get kids placed at the top D1 programs, it will not help your son to be playing in this program.  Is your son getting playing time?  If not, change programs.  

The right showcase/travel program for your son will have deep contacts for colleges at the level in which he should be playing.  They will work to get you son noticed.  But don't expect them to use those contacts if they do not believe in your son.  I do not know of a program that will burn a contact for any player.  In order to remain a top program they must keep up their reputation and if they are over selling a player to a college they will tarnish that reputation.

Also, when it comes to changing showcase/travel programs, most folks tend to stay due to loyalty.  Don't become one of them.  Think of this as a business and you are the consumer.  You are paying them for a service, if there is a better place to spend your money, go there.  I know most kids want to stay with their friends and feel comfortable, but if you are truly looking to make it to the next level you will need to make the sacrifices necessary to do that.  

Finally, approach this with a plan.  I would start by putting together a recruiting video, resume and website.  If you need help with any of these, post a separate question and folks will chime in.  There is a specific format for all of these and it will help if your information follows in that format.  Not that it won't get noticed, but more attention will be paid to them if they are short and concise.  

After putting together the necessary info, its time to start contacting the colleges.  Put together a very broad list of schools that meet your sons educational needs.  Once you have that list of schools together, start to whittle them down to the schools which meets your sons athletic needs.  The list should still be very broad.   If it only contains 10 schools, its probably too small.  Once you have the list setup its time to start contacting the schools.  Every school should have a Recruiting coordinator (RC).  If there is no RC listed, contact the Head Coach (HC) Put together a nice email and send it to the RC or HC.  Your sons email should be customized for each school.  Do NOT send generic emails.  The email should have a subject line to catch their attention.  Something like "Joe Smith - 2019 - Catcher - 1.9 Pop Time".  The email should only contain a few intro lines, and a link to the recruiting video.  We would also attach the resume as well as cut and paste it at the bottom of the email.

At this point your email should have been sent out to 25+ schools.  Hopefully a few of those will show some interest and email you back.  You are probably going to get invites to camps from all of these schools.  Ignore those.  What you are looking for is a personal email to your son.  Trust me when I tell you that you will know the difference.  These emails will open up a line of communication with the school, this is what you are hoping for.  This is the point when you should start the discussion on how to get in front of them.  They will generally ask what events your son plans on attending.  They will also let you know where they will be in attendance.  You will need to find a way to get where they are (unless they are very interested and then they will find a way to get to you).  If you can get in front of them, let them know and then work with them and your sons coach (if a tourney) to make sure your son is on the field when they are around.